CALL: (817) 923-9999
Many clients who come to Schreier & Housewirth for representation have never hired an attorney before in their lives. Their perception of attorneys is colored by what they see on television and in advertisements. These media representations of pudgy middle-aged lawyers as “bulldogs”, “sharks”, and the like do little to enhance the dignity of family law attorneys in the Dallas / Fort Worth metroplex.
At Schreier & Housewirth we believe it is our responsibility to educate our clients about what they should, and should not expect from their divorce attorney. We find that such an education leads us to have more positive relationships with our clients as they know what to expect from their attorney. Whether your case involves child custody, divorce, property division, CPS, or other family related matters, our attorneys are here to help you.
Are you contemplating divorce? Do you need a divorce attorney in Fort Worth?
Here is what you should expect from your divorce lawyer
- A Fort Worth divorce attorney should listen to you closely and respond to you with an understanding of your situation and particular needs
- A Fort Worth divorce lawyer should be able to articulate the law to you in easy to understand language and clearly explain your options to you
- A divorce lawyer should be familiar with the practices of the family court judges in both Dallas County and in Tarrant County
- A divorce attorney should be accessible during the course of the divorce and should be responsive to your questions and concerns about divorce in Tarrant County
- They should consult with you before making any decisions of a critical nature
- A lawyer should let you make informed decisions about your case rather than using your case as a forum for their own personal issues and ambitions
- A divorce attorney should protect you and your children from harmful conduct by your spouse
- A Fort Worth divorce lawyer should be more than a “cheerleader”, he should help you accurately assess both the strengths and weaknesses of your divorce case
- An attorney should maintain a professional demeanor at all times and not fall prey to anger or other emotions
- A divorce attorney should encourage you to seek a peaceful resolution to your case if circumstances permit
- An attorney should be able to clearly explain his fee structure to you and use your funds wisely.
Here is what you should not expect from your Fort Worth divorce attorney
- A lawyer should not take critical decision making away from you and expect you to simply be happy with the result of his unilateral actions
- An attorney should not encourage you to engage in illegal or unethical activities during your divorce case
- A divorce attorney should not take your case on a “contingency fee” basis
- A Fort Worth divorce lawyer should not promise you a certain result in your divorce case
- An attorney should not imply that he has a special relationship with the judge or has the power to improperly influence the judge
- A divorce attorney should not become personally involved in your divorce conflict
- A divorce attorney should not engage in harassing or inappropriate behavior towards your spouse or opposing counsel
- An attorney should not refuse to disclose to you how your funds are being spent
- A divorce attorney should not attempt to develop a personal relationship with you during your divorce case
- An attorney should not attempt to give you psychological advice or mental health counseling.
As Ft. Worth divorce lawyers, we understand that your divorce case is one of the most difficult life events you will ever endure. We offer you divorce representation that meets the highest professional and ethical standards and we hope that this article will help you to be a more informed and confident when hiring your divorce attorney.